What Makes a Mattress DOT Approved?
You might have read or heard that your truck mattress needs to be DOT (Department of Transportation) approved, but what does this mean exactly when it comes to your sleeper? How can you be sure your aftermarket truck mattress is DOT approved?
What the Law Says
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration established the following requirements that a sleeper bed must meet in order to be DOT approved (you can find this information in § 393.76):
- In terms of dimensions and size, a sleeper berth must be at least the following size (if installed on the motor vehicle after September 1975 75 inches (length measured on centerline of longitudinal axis) X 24 inches (width measured on centerline of transverse axis) X 24 inches (height measured from highest point of top of mattress) (75” x 24” x 24”). If your sleeper bed utilizes an adjustable mechanical suspension system, measure the height once the system has been adjusted to what it would be when occupied by a driver.
- In terms of shape, the bed must be of generally rectangular shape, except that the horizontal corners and the roof corners may be rounded to radii not exceeding 101⁄2 inches.
- As for access, the sleeper berth must be constructed so that an occupant’s entrance to and exit from the berth is not “unduly hindered”. It must not be installed in/on a semitrailer or a full trailer other than a house trailer. A sleeper berth located within the cargo space of a vehicle must be securely compartmentalized from the remainder of the cargo space. It must be located in the cab or immediately adjacent to the cab and must be securely fixed with relation to the cab. There must be a direct way to exit from the sleeper berth into the driver’s seat or compartment. This exit must be a doorway or opening at least 18 inches high and 36 inches wide.
- A sleeper berth that is not located within the driver’s compartment and does not have a direct entrance into the driver’s compartment must be equipped with a means of communication between the occupant and the driver. The means of communication may consist of a telephone, buzzer, or other mechanical or electrical device.
- The bed must be properly equipped for sleeping. Its equipment must include bedclothing, blankets; and either springs and a mattres, an innerspring mattress, a cellular rubber or flexible foam mattress at least four inches thick; or a mattress filled with a fluid and of sufficient thickness that when filled it prevents ‘‘bottoming-out’’ while the vehicle is in motion.
- A sleeper bed must provide adequate ventilation and must protect against dust and rain.
- It must also protect against exhaust, fuel leaks, and exhaust heat. The location of the bed must also prevent overheating or damages because of proximity to the vehicle’s exhaust system.
- A motor vehicle manufactured on or after July 1, 1971, and equipped with a sleeper bed must have a way of preventing ejection of the occupant of the sleeper during deceleration of the vehicle. This restraint system must be designed and maintained to withstand a minimum total force of 6,000 lbs. applied toward the front of the vehicle and parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle.
- If a compartment in a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle) is no longer used as a sleeper bed, you do not have to maintain it equipped as such.
In a nutshell, the sleeper class must:
- Be a minimum of 75” long, 24” wide, and have at least 24” from the top of mattress to the ceiling.
- Have easy access to and from the driver’s compartment (including an exit and a way of communication with the driver)
- Be compartmentalized away from the freight area.
- Be rectangular in shape.
- Have adequate ventilation and be isolated from the exhaust fumes.
- Be properly equipped for sleeping.
Still not sure where to start when buying your new truck mattress? We’ve figured out the hard part for you: SleepDog® mattresses are DOT approved, designed for life on the road, and 100% made in the USA. We guarantee free shipping, a risk free trial and 10 years of warranty coverage to make sure you get high quality rest you can rely on, wherever your travels take you. Contact one of our Customer Specialist Today! They're just a chat, email or call away from helping you find the perfect bed for your tractor trailer.